At Flock we’re having our very own ‘rocketship’ moment, growing faster than we ever imagined. One year ago we launched the world’s first drone safety and insurance app; it’s now used by thousands of commercial and recreational drone pilots. We’re now on the lookout for a smart and creative Product Manager to expand our product range, and keep us at the forefront of the rapidly evolving drone industry.
We’re reinventing drone insurance from the ground up by helping drone pilots fly safer and insure their flights on the fly. Our beautifully designed app (Flock Cover) connects a very sophisticated set of risk-intelligence algorithms with a seamless process of purchasing insurance. Our highly skilled team of engineers, designers and data scientists obsess over the customer, whilst understanding that the best way to help them is to align their needs with our wider business goals. As Flock’s Product Manager, you will help us to design and develop cutting-edge new features and products that will fulfil market needs, whilst ensuring that the entire team is focused, and aligned towards delivering genuine value to our customers.
You will work closely with our Customer Success, Growth, and Tech teams to expand our product range and launch new features. In your day-to-day, you will prototype and build new features and products, test them with our customers, and work with the tech team to bring them to life. Some cool features in the pipeline include tools to find the safest time for take-off, alert systems that will tell pilots to land when the sky gets dangerous, and many more...
In this role you will be expected to:
- Keep close contact with our users to understand what current and future user requirements are (or will be).
- Maintain a prioritised backlog of new features and product iterations, by working with our Customer Success and Growth teams.
- Work with our leadership team to build and maintain a long-term product strategy (that will take us into entirely new industries).
- Influence Flock’s product roadmap by quantifying the value of each new feature and product in the short and medium term.
- Sketch, prototype, and spec new features and products, working close with the tech team to quantify the resources required to build and implement them.
- Break projects into actionable user stories and tasks, and work with our Tech Lead to plan software development sprints.
Skills you’ll be putting in practice include some or all of the below. Don’t know them yet? No problem; we’ll teach you!
- Design and prototyping skills, and confidence using tools like Sketch, Illustrator and Marvel (or similar).
- Understanding of design thinking processes (to capture user needs, and solve problems in a way that works for both customers and the business).
- Strong written and spoken communication, to engage with users and stakeholders (both internally and externally).
- An ability to liaise with technical teams, to convert your cool product ideas into actionable delivery plans and timelines.
- You have experience designing and launching digital products.
- You have worked with software teams before.
- You are a creative problem solver.
- You have a strong understanding of software development and are able to maintain a technical conversation with developers.
- You have a proven ability to understand business and user needs simultaneously.
- You have built product roadmaps and strategic product plans before.
- You have experience as a UX or UI designer.
- You have basic software development or data analysis skills.
- You have worked with growth teams before.
- Experience managing a cross-functional product team backlog.
Apply on this page. Please explain (briefly) why you’re interested in this position and why you believe you’re the right person for this job. It’d be great if you could provide examples of your past work and achievements. If you have a portfolio, please add your link when applying.
We will schedule you in for an initial 20-minute phone conversation with Antton (our Founder and Product Lead).
We will ask you to do a short exercise that consists of proposing a product iteration or feature to resolve a specific problem statement. During the exercise, you will be able to demonstrate your creative problem solving, design, and development complexity estimation skills.
In the final stage, you will be invited for an on-site interview where you will present your exercise answers to various members of the team, including Antton, Abe (Tech Lead) and Ed (CEO). You will also have the opportunity to meet the rest of the team in a very casual setting for a friendly chat.
- A competitive salary (for a competitive role).
- Stock Options: we want you to own the work that you do. And this means owning the company you work in. All employees receive stock options as part of their compensation package.
- Pension: we offer a full auto-enrollment workplace pension for all employees who want it. Nothing fancy here. Just a pension.
- Large amounts of autonomy and empowerment in your work.
- Holidays: we offer 33 days of holiday per annum, including bank holidays.
- Relaxed working hours / working from home: we don’t have fixed working hours, some of our team start at 8am, others at 10am. We trust you to establish an effective working pattern that allows you to excel in your role and makes you a great Flock team member.
Learning & Development
- Books, courses and conference budgets for all employees.
- Hackathons: we run a quarterly hackathon which lasts 24 hours. Everyone’s invited to join in.
- Breakfast club: learn from your colleagues (or teach us something new!)
- Friday fancy lunches: every Friday the entire Flock teams heads for lunch together. We call it ‘fancy lunch’. But sometimes it’s just at a pub.
- Quarterly offsite adventures: every quarter the entire team do something crazy together. Like fly a plane to the coast.
- Unlimited coffee and tea every day